Tuesday 7 October 2014

A milky reveiw



I love milk.  Love it!  Preferably in a tall glass and it needs to be icy cold.  While pregnant with all three of my kids, milk was my drink of choice.  With Bell I liked to dip chicken chips (crisps) into my banana milk.  With Tom it was chocolate milk and with George is was plain old full fat milk.  At 33 weeks I got a telling off from my midwife who wondered if my huge consumption of milk was growing big babies.  I cried..........and carried on drinking it anyway.

So, there you go that's my milky background...........and the very kind folks at Vitarium sent us their flavoured milk mixes to try.  We were keen beans to try them as we all love our flavoured milk.  I was horrified to learn that the average flavoured milk drink contains 7 teaspoons of sugar?!  Step aside sugar milk and make way for Vitarium flavoured milk mixes.


These 100% natural mixes are 99% fat free and low calorie as they are sweetened with Natvia (from the stevia plant).

No-added sugar
Aspartame free
Saccharin free
Sucralose free



Gluten Free
Nut Free
Wheat Free
Egg Free
Yeast Free

GMO Free


I wanted to know up bit more about the stevia plant and found that:

"Stevia is a sweet leafed plant. Its proper name is Stevia Rebaudiana, and it’s part of the Chrysanthemum family. The glycosides in Stevia plant leaves create its incredible sweetness; Stevia is naturally 300 times sweeter than sugar. It’s been part of the human diet for thousands of years, traditionally in grown Paraguay, Brazil, Japan and China."


The packaging says to add four teaspoons to your milk, but I find that 2 is enough.  You can also use the mixes in baking..........just add to a muffin, cake or biscuit mix in place of sugar.  A great alternative for sugar free baked treats.


My three kids like the milk mixes in the morning with their breakfast.  Banana is our favourite, followed by strawberry then the chocolate.  You can find your Vitarium flavoured milk mixes in your local supermarket (Australia and New Zealand).


If you see them while doing your weekly shop, pop one in your trolley and give it a try.  We used to use another milk mix product but will be sticking with this one from now on.  Thank you Vitarium for the goodies!
 
Do you love milk?  Cold, warm, hot or mixed with something?
 
Anyone else dip their chicken chips (crisps) in their banana milk while pregnant???



2 comments:

  1. Not a milk fan since tonsils out, so no cereals for breakfast for me these days either. But the boys drink 2-3 litres a day - we spend around $25 a week on milk (with NZ's crazy expensive milk prices.) I like that this product can replace sugar in recipes, so might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to be back! I've been away from the blogging world for 2 months but i've got my mojo back!
    I've just spent far too long reading your blog dear girl, it was so lovely catching up on everything in your corner.
    I've got a wedding in 4 days, reckon this milk will help me shed some kgs?
    Liv x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...