Friday 28 March 2014

And just like that........







You turned 3!  Low key with dinner at your favourite place in the world (McDonalds) a brand new bike and some great pressies from family.  You are so easily pleased and never expect a fuss.

It has been a busy couple of weeks here,  I have been absent from this space and have been so looking forward to returning.

With George turning 3 it also meant that he started Kindy.  Here in New Zealand, once children turn 3 they are entitled to 20 hours free childcare each week. 

We had his name down on the waiting list for an amazing Kindy in town.  Situated on a 40 acre farm, complete with animals, organic gardens and Steiner based Philosophy.  Because of the huge outdoor space and high teacher numbers we new it would suit George perfectly. 

We did initial visits and as of last week he started on his own (without me hovering) 5 mornings a week.  I was going to start with 3 but Mr H said we should go with the 5 that was offered - and I'm glad we did because he loves it.

He has settled in so well - and runs into the centre each morning and after doing a puzzle or reading a book, I kiss and hug him and say goodbye.............and that is that.  Easy.  After being such a clingy little man, this has been a huge surprise.

And there you have it.  I am now a mum to 2 in school and 1 at Kindy.  And 5 mornings a week free.  Someone said don't underestimate how quickly the time will go - you were right!  I'm getting lots of things done, but some days I'm also racing to get things finished in time for the midday pick up.  I've been loving the quiet house and coffees in town.  I have been keeping a beady eye open for a suitable part time job, ideally mornings and term time only......wishful thinking?  The biggest adjustment hasn't been for George I think but for me.......funny huh?

And now it's the weekend.  Pizza night, movies and lollies.  A favourite round here.  Everyone is suitably tired from their busy week.  I'm looking forward to getting into the garden, the weather is going to be great for the next few days.  The mornings are freezing but the days are turning out bright and warm.  Hope life is treating you well in your part of the world.

Have a great weekend lovelies!



20 comments:

  1. Hooray for kindies! (but you''d be lucky to get in before 4-4.5 years in this part of town.) And for "free" fun time for hard working mums! More sewing/ Knitting. Op shopping .Sounds like an awesome kindy. I spent 12 years at home and kinda miss a week day of just doing whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending birthday wishes to the Big Boy! And enjoy your mornings too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. O George, you dear fella.
    ("Happy Birthday from Henry Bear, your Aussie mate")!
    Elaina, I'm speechless (JEALOUS IN FACT) at NZ's 20hrs free day care. I'm desperate, but the budget just won't stretch.
    Enjoy those precious hours, smell the air- get it deep into those lungs, do some sewing, brew an extra pot, take a sneaky nap…..i'm green with envy dear girl.
    *Hey, it may take me some time bc i'm up to my eyeballs in uni assignments and easter is nigh (which means all 4 at home) but I'd love to send you a small little something. Email me your address, and then don't wait by the mail box for a few months! odenahy@hotmail.com
    Have a fabulous birthday weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely, you are too sweet, I will email you my address. The 20 hours free a week is such a luxury. We wouldn't be doing it otherwise. Every NZ child is entitled to it between the ages of 3-5 years. Amazing for parents who are working and not having to fork out most of the wage packet on kindy fees. Give wee Henry Bear a squeeze for me please. Wish you lived over the fence and you could send your four to hang out with my three while you get your assignments done! xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pet, I wish we lived in that vineyard too! Send your address and you'll get it one day before Christmas! xxx

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday George. Three is a great age. We get 5 sessions of free childcare in Scotland, which is either five morning or five afternoons. Best thing ever. I am looking for that very same part time job! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That type of part time job would be a dream right? The free childcare sessions are a great idea xo

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that he is enjoying himself and settling in well, I hope that you settle into the new routine as well!! Happy Birthday George!!!!!!!!!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, George! My daughter will start kindergarten in August and then I'll have both in school. Mine will only go four half-days a week because the rest is homeschool, but it will still be a shock to have four mornings per week alone after what will be nine years by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't know yourself! The first couple of weeks were a bit strange, but I'm loving it now. I'm always pleased to go and pick him up though. xo

      Delete
  7. 20 free hours of childcare a week??! wow, that's amazing. Well done NZ! Happy birthday to George, what a sweetheart :-) Enjoy your weekend lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I don't know what is more impressive - the 20 hours of free childcare or the wonderful sounding place that you found for him. An organic farm that does daycare?! Amazing. I just spent a week helping my mom with her in-home daycare. 3 year old boys are tiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 year old boys are very tiring. I don't now how the teachers do it. I remember doing parent help for a couple of hours at Tom's kindy and I was exhausted! The 20 free hours is for 3-5 year olds. And every child is entitled to it. A real blessing, especially for those working. This kindy is pretty special and a very new concept. People come from all round the country to take a look xo

      Delete
  9. Oh!!! A big happy birthday to your little man! That school sounds fantastic! And what a change to have mornings free...I can't even imagine that!!! Such a beautiful post friend.....life is good! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like such a luxury Nicole, something I won't ever take for granted xo

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday George! Our childcare system sounds terrible in comparison to the NZ system!!! So pleased George has settled into school, what a relief, and what a break for you now. Enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It runs for 3-5 years and is such a blessing, especially for those returning to work. Makes up for our rubbish paid parental leave system. xo

      Delete
  11. Wow, where on earth is this kindy?? It sounds amazing!!
    Happy birthday to your little man. It sure does go fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! Bell and Tom want to ditch school and go to George's kindy xo

      Delete
  12. Hope it was an awesome weekend and your little guy had great fun! Happy Birthday little man!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...