Friday 17 January 2014

Snapper ceviche toastadas




Yum!

Don't let the fancy name throw you!  I made up a batch of these a couple of nights ago to have with a few cold beers when Mr H came home from work.   They were super easy to make.  The flavours pop in your mouth and were the perfect pre dinner treat to have on a hot summers evening.

Here is how you make them:

You will need:

300g fresh snapper or other white fish - just make sure it's fresh
2 red chillies finely sliced (I used one large one)
juice of 2 limes
20 small round tortilla chips
small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped (I love coriander so doubled the amount)
flaky sea salt

Method:

Chop the fish into small pieces and pop into a dish in a single layer.  Add the chillies and squeeze over lime juice.  Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes until the fish is "cooked" (turns opaque) in the lime juice.

Just before serving, pile a tablespoon of fish onto each tortilla chip, scatter with coriander and a decent pinch of sea salt.

Serve immediately.  And enjoy!


*** This recipe is from my favourite Nici Wickes cookbook.



12 comments:

  1. I don't eat raw fish, but my husband would love these after a hard day of work! Beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made or eaten ceviche. What is the texture like Elaina, does it have the texture of a cooked piece of fish, or is it like smoked salmon, or is it still as though it is raw - sorry, so many questions! Looks very tasty though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texture is just like smoked salmon but it looks cooked because of the marinating process. My kids won't eat it because of the chillies. I might halve the amount of chillies next time xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks Elaina! I might get brave and give this a try, don't mind chilli here in this house! xx

      Delete
  3. Wow! Kids would turn their noses up, but husband and I would hoe into them! I'm a coriander freak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness do these look fantastic!!! The perfect pairing with a cold beer! Thanks for passing this one along!!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are loaded in for the GYB event --
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I had ceviche last week at a cocktail night and I've been thinking about it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good idea to share a plate of delicious bites with your husband (says me, munching on a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, feeling guilty for not sharing....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing. I've never made my own ceviche but I want to eat about ten of those with a cold beer. I'm so immersed in wintry food, soups, stews, and baking, that it's a breath of fresh air to think about lighter, summery snacks like these. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...