Friday 21 June 2013

Tis Cold!





We have had a big temperature drop overnight.  The wood baskets are piled high and our fire is chugging along nicely keeping everyone warm.  The last couple of days have been clear so my washing machine has been getting a workout.  Rain is predicted over the weekend.  I secretly have my fingers crossed that Saturday sports will be cancelled.  Much of the South Island is experiencing snow storms and gales.  We won't get the snow but the cold wind and rain is approaching as the severe winter weather moves towards the North Island.

Georgie and I are both full up with colds.  Aches and runny noses.  I've been falling asleep putting George to bed the last couple of nights, a good indication that something was brewing.

So I have been enjoying Lemon and Honey drinks when I can.  I now always use UMF Manuka Honey.

"Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) contains special antibacterial properties not found in ordinary Active Manuka honey. The special antibacterial activity is measured as a UMF5+ through to 20+. The higher the UMF, the more potent the UMF honey is." - Comvita.

Unfortunately, the higher the UMF the more costly the honey, I use a UMF10+.  I keep it separate to our other honey.  This one is for medicinal purposes only.

Lemon and Honey Drink

Manuka Honey (use 10+ or above for the best benefits)
Lemon
Boiling water

I place a heaped teaspoon of honey in a cup along with a few slices of lemon and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.

Stir to dissolve the honey and enjoy!

I don't take anything from the chemist (if I can help it) apart from Panadol to keep aches at bay.  Staying warm and resting when I can helps too.  I also have a huge bowl of mandarins to work my way through today.

Does anyone have a great recipe for chicken soup that they swear by?

When the winter bugs hit your home, do you have any special remedies that you like to use?

Have a great weekend everyone and if you are in the Southern Hemisphere, stay warm!

11 comments:

  1. We're enjoying freshly squeezed orange juice here daily to try and prevent any sniffles.
    I shall add Manuka honey to the shopping list, to have on hand. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you do vicks or blessed balm (malcolm harkner) on the souls of the feet?

    it is VERY cold isn't it !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are all tickerty boo soon! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm... Lemon and honey tea! Wouldn't mind a cuppa right about now :) Hope you're feeling better soon lovely lady.
    Sophie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of UMF...I will have to look that one up! I hope you feel better soon...and I will keep my fingers crossed that sports are cancelled and you can all stay cozy inside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get well soon. I love honey and lemon if I am full of cold. And toast. It has to be that plastic white bread, toasted and smothered in butter and then marmite. I guess you could use vegemite. It has no health benefits but it is excellent comfort food! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you and George are well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrr, I don't miss Old Man Winter one bit! But at least you have an adorable mug to drink from :) Hope you feel better! xolaura

    ReplyDelete
  9. we are all stuffed up here too....I swear by bucket loads of citrus. And I smother everyone and everything in tea tree oil. I will now add UMK manuka to the list. Al x
    ps lemon syrup cake is for medicinal purposes too!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you're feeling better! I don't know any chicken soup recipes but know an awesome pumpkin soup recipe if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exactly what I need. I am making free range chicken noodle soup for dinner but this will be my go to before bed. X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...